Sunday, October 14, 2007

My Personal View on Parenting the Hip-Hop Youth!

Hello, my name is B. Brown of Bar-Red Entertainment Group (BREG) and I started this Parenting Information Blog to shine light on this phenomenon called the Hip-Hop Generation. I started as an Artist when I was thirteen (13) years old and continued writing, recording, and performing up through College where I became a College Radio On-Air Personality, and by my Senior Year, I was the Assistant Student Manager (Paid Position) as well. As an Entertainment and Music Business Professional since 1994 and an Educator (Teacher and Presently a Campus Supervisor) since 2001, I have a very unique and insightful perspective on the present youth that some people call Generation X.

I believe in Traditional Old-School Parenting. Why? Because it worked for me and my Brother! It has worked for countless young people in the past, so I do not see why it would not work for this new Hip-Hop Generation that appears to be very confused. Any young person that is twenty-five (25) years old and younger has practically grown up on a heavy dose of Hip-Hop Culture and it has basically shaped their lives. We as Parents and Adults have to do a better job of Parenting! Not only should we relate to our children and youth, there are three (3) things that I believe we should do for our Children and Youth of the Hip-Hop Generation. Those 3 things are LOVE them, TEACH them, and DISCIPLINE them.

LOVE let's our youth feel the affection and embracing attention that they need to grow and develop knowing that someone really cares for them and has their best interest at heart.

TEACHING our youth even when they are in the womb helps them learn how to do things and teaches them lessons. Positive teaching provides knowledge and insight.

DISCIPLINE provides training that helps develop self-control and efficiency. Orderly conduct and understanding a system of rules is very important.

Our children and youth of the Hip-Hop Generation must receive a true, strong combination of Loving, Teaching, and Discipline to learn the value of loving themselves, the importance of education and bettering themselves, and understanding and appreciating self-control and following rules that will help them. All of these things start at HOME. We as parents have to do our jobs and not let our children fall through the cracks of the Capitalistic Society that we live in. Parents, you can do it! I CHALLENGE you and I am here to help you! We cannot continue to allow our children to disrespect us as parents, educators, and as their elders. Public and Private schools are having issues with students that are coming to school for everything else, but to learn. That has to stop now. Parents and Adults, let's do our part in raising our children and youth correctly! If not us, who?

No comments:

Hip-Hop Youth, Education and Parenting!